The Governing Council is appointed by the Board of Trustees. The council is charged with the general control and superintendence of the policy, finance, and property of the University, including its public relations.
They are the official employer of all University staff and meets at least three times in every calendar year. They are responsible for the overall development plans, finances, and general management of the University by formulating statutes and policies, designing structures and responsibilities to facilitate the achievement of the objectives, and vision of the University.
The Governing Council plays a vital role in setting the strategic plans and direction for the University and works closely with the Management team for its achievement.
The Governing Council is headed by Dr. Dipo Oluyomi, the University Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council, other members of the Council are:
Professor Adenike Kuku - Vice-Chancellor
Ms. Faith Tuedor-Mathews - Nominee of the Proprietor
Mr. Tayo Oladapo - Nominee of the Proprietor
Dr. Mrs O.K. Olumurewa - Member representing the Senate
Mr. O. Fatomilola - Member representing Congregation
Engr. Abraham Chundusu - Member representing NUC
Mr. S.F Olajide - Member representing the M.O.E. State of Osun
Professor G.O.A Sowemimo - Member representing Odeomu Community
Pastor Femi Faseru - Member representing Board of Trustees
The Registrar is the Secretary to Council, while the University Librarian and Bursar attends the meetings of the Council as non-members.
The responsibilities of the Council are to:
- Determine the proposed University educational character, mission and strategic vision, its long-term business plans, annual budgets, key performance indicators (KPIs), and ensure that these meet the interest of stakeholders;
- ensure the establishment and monitoring of systems of control and accountability, including financial and operational controls and risk assessment, clear procedures for handling internal grievances and for managing conflicts of interest;
- monitor institutional performance against plans and approved KPIs, which wherever possible and appropriate, are benchmarked against other comparable higher education institutions;
- establish instruments for effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the proposed University and safeguarding its assets;
- appoint all the Principal Officers and Other Staff of the proposed University except the Vice-Chancellor;
- set a framework for the pay and conditions of service for all staff;
- approve procedures relating to suspension and dismissal of staff and staff grievance procedures;
- Maintain accounts and appoint auditors.
Major Committees of the Governing Council:
The Council operates through the committee system. The following are the main Committees of Council:
- Finance and General Purposes Committee
- Appointments, Promotions and Disciplinary Committee.
- Tenders Board.
- Fund-Raising Committee.
- Committee on Security.