The Department of Accounting is one of the pioneer Departments of Kings University. The Department started under the administration of the Faculty of Humanities, Management, and Social Sciences Dean- Professor Wale Adesinan. Two years after, the department in preparation of NUC accreditation gained independence and was recruited versatile academician both on full time and part-time in a balanced proportion. The Department in the third year of operation gained a full accreditation from the erudite team on first visit. The Department produced among the first grandaunts best students whose hardworking thorough academic training from Lecturers earned automatic employment in a reputable Organization. The Department is known for value creation.
PHILOSOPHY & OBJECTIVES
The general philosophy of undergraduate training in the accounting programme is to provide the students with quality education and training that will develop the mind, impart both theoretical and practical knowledge on the individual student, develop self- confidence, help to be innovative and self-reliant in the field of Accounting.
The major objectives of a Bachelor’s degree programme in Accounting are to:
- a) To produce high level accounting personnel that can contribute to the development of accounting practice through researches and publications.
- b) Provide basic knowledge and skills needed for the understanding and analysis of problems relating to accounting in the management of industrial, commercial, public and other human organizations;
- c) Equip students with knowledge and skills of decision making; especially the analytical skills needed for recognizing, defining and solving problems;
- d) Develop in students, leadership and interpersonal relations skills in accounting/management.
- e) Provide training aimed at improving and upgrading the existing and potential manpower needed for national development.
The vision of the Department of Accounting and Finance, Faculty of Management, Kings University Odeomu is “To produce competent accountants (guidance of integrity) with international quality”.
Candidates are admitted into the Accounting degree programme in any of the following three ways:
The University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
UTME Entry Mode
The minimum academic requirement is credit level passes in five subjects at O’Level in nationally recognised examination including English Language, Mathematics and any three other subjects at not more than two sittings.
Direct Entry Mode
(a) In addition to O’Level requirements stipulated above, applicants should possess at least two A’ Level papers in relevant subjects.
(b) OND in Accounting or relevant discipline with at least upper credit grade in addition to the five credit passes as in (a) above.
(c) HND in relevant discipline with at least upper credit grade in addition to five credit passes as in O’Level.
The Accounting laboratory is well equipped with both desktops and laptops, all installed with relevant accounting softwares and auditing programs. Relevant documents, books are available both in soft and hard copies for referencing and familiarity during related course of study.