The vision of the Department of Information System and Technology, Kings University, Odeomu, is to produce graduates that are research-oriented, self-reliant, can stand the test of time and also compete favorably with their counterparts elsewhere in the world and who can meet global demands in any field of Computer and Mathematical Sciences.
The Department of Information System and Technology is one of the Departments created under the Faculty of Science. Apart from being able to run all the Programs in the Department, the Department also provides services courses to other departments in the Faculty. It is therefore a major player in the transformation of students into expert thinkers, solution providers, innovative managers and resourceful technocrats.
The Department of Information System and Technology dated back to 2016 when Kings University was established. It is one of the four Departments in the Faculty of science. The Department offers two programmes namely: B.Sc. Computer Science and B.Sc. Mathematics.
Right from inception, the Department was entrusted with the task of teaching Mathematics, Statistics and computer courses to various allied Departments and Faculties. The Department operates academic curricula that are tailored to the Benchmark for Minimum Academic Standard (BMAS) by the National University Commission (NUC) as well as global trends.
The Department has fully equipped laboratories, ranging from the Software laboratory with personal computers and software packages, to the Hardware laboratory fully equipped with Hardware tools and also the Digital Computer Laboratory which ensured that our graduates will be at a competitive and professionally cutting edge.
The Department began with thirteen (13) number of students and few academic Staffs, but has since then grown gradually in number and strength, and can boast of quite a number of seasoned Lecturers of various designation.
It is now my pleasure to therefore invite you to learn more about the Department of Information System and Technology. You will find us to be a Department that achieves excellence while maintaining a culture of clear mission, focus, hard work, dedication, objectivity and cutting edge in researches and professionalism. You will find us to be a Department that develops innovative concepts in an expedient and successful way and with sound IT compliance.
The department has well equipped laboratories, Software laboratory fully equipped with computers and software packages to enhance learning for the students, also we have the Hardware laboratory fully equipped with different tools used in the laboratory, and the physical components of a computer system to enhance more practical knowledge for our students, there is Digital Computer laboratory fully equipped for digital computing
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
The degree Programs in the Department are designed to produce graduates with sound knowledge of science and its applications especially in Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology, Mathematical based industries and other related Science-oriented establishments. They are also to make graduates skilled and competent professionals who would be among those creating jobs rather than those looking for jobs.
The objectives are to:
- Provide the opportunity for each student to assimilate and apply the body of knowledge required by a chosen discipline through a clearly defined sequence of Courses;
- Develop each student’s ability to think critically and to communicate effectively through creative and challenging educational experiences;
- Encourage each student to become a well-rounded, educated person through exposure to other disciplines within the university;
- Contribute to the greater body of knowledge in specialized disciplines through research, scholarship and professional endeavors; and
- Produce self-reliant graduates for self-employment in various areas of Applied Sciences.
Admission Requirements for UTME Candidate
- The minimum entry requirement for admission into the department of Information System and Technology for UTME candidate is credit level pass in five (5) subjects in the SSCE/GCE/NECO O/L or their equivalent, which must be obtained at not more than two sittings and must include English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and either Biology or Agricultural Science or Further Mathematics and also present at least the yearly minimum JAMB cut-off mark which will be determined by the University Senate in UTME result. In addition, Kings University conducts screening exercises for all candidates seeking admission into the University.
- Requirements for Direct Entry Candidate
- The minimum entry requirement for admission into the department of Information System and Technology for Direct Entry candidate is credit level pass in five (5) subjects in the SSCE/GCE/NECO O/L or their equivalent which must be obtained at not more than two sittings in the relevant science subjects as well as GCE Advance level/IJMB/JUPEB/NABTEB/NCE/ND/NID certificate from a recognized Institution.